Thursday, May 13, 2010

Ocularist

Do you even know what that IS?!

I bet you don't. It's not an optometrist or an ophthalmologist. It's not even a doctor actually...though it kind of sounds like one.

I like the dictionary definition:

oc·u·lar·ist (ŏk'yə-lər-ĭst)
n. A person who is skilled in the design, fabrication, and fitting ofartificial eyes and in the making of prostheses associated with theappearance or function of the eyes

Interesting, no?

That's what I'm doing today...getting a new prosthesis made. I really hate this part of my life and wish I had two functioning eyes. But alas, I don't.

This is always a scary process because (if you are someone who has had a prosthesis) you know it's never going to look perfect...perfect would be a regular EYE. But you want it to look as great as possible. And I get so nervous that I won't like it or it will be more noticeable or...I don't know...just won't look at all natural.

But all that aside (cause I can't think about that right now or I'll get even MORE worked up about it), I do find it interesting that if you don't have an ocular prosthesis or know someone who has one well enough that you've talked about it with them, people have NO idea that this occupation even exists or HOW these things are made. I know I had no idea until I unfortunately had to have one.

So I leave you with that interesting definition. And maybe if I'm feeling good about it later, I'll tell you all about the incredibly long, tedious process.

Alright, off I go! Wish me luck.

Peace.

No comments: