Thursday, December 13, 2012

Some Christmas Confusion

So....I've got a Spotify playlist of Christmas tunes going right now....11 hours worth of music.

It's basically been playing constantly for about 3 weeks. 

So now I know a lot of these random holiday songs (that maybe I wasn't as familiar with 3 weeks ago) by heart.

For example:  Christmas Island

I fell in love with this song a few years ago, actually.  But I kind of just hummed along and never really cared what was being said because it was so cute and pretty.

I've listened closely the last few weeks and now I am confused.

The lyrics say....

How'd ja like to spend Christmas on Christmas Island?
How'd ja like to spend the Holiday away across the sea?
How'd ja like to spend Christmas on Christmas Island?
How'd ja like to hang your stockin' on a great big coconut tree?


(No problem here...Christmas Island?  Sounds great.  Stocking on a palm tree?  Sure!)

How'd ja like to stay up late, like the islanders do
Wait for Santa to sail in with your presents in a canoe
If you ever spend Christmas on Christmas Island
You will never stray, for ev'ry day
Your Christmas dreams come true

HOLD UP.  What does Santa need a canoe for?!  He has a SLEIGH.  WITH REINDEER.  IT FLIES.  NO NEED TO GRAB A BOAT AND PADDLE YOURSELF ALL THE WAY OVER TO THIS RANDOM ISLAND.

And wait a second, do the islanders get to SEE Santa every year?  How come everyone else has to be asleep?!?!  Why are they so special?  Just because their island is named after the guy's favorite holiday?

Now, I'm also not sure if they are talking about the literal place, Christmas Island, or just some fictional island of their dreams.  But I'm going to guess it's inspired by the actual Christmas Island - and in that case, Santa canoeing there is just about as unrealistic as hoofed creatures pulling a giant man in a sleigh with presents for ALL THE CHILDREN OF THE WORLD.

....We're already suspending reality here, people.  Let's not go overboard.

But the song is actually sort of cute, so I'm going to try and look past this MAJOR issue I have and enjoy the islandy Christmas joy.

No comments: