Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Day 313: This guy came to work with me today. He's the best ever.

Via Flickr:
I love him, I love him, I love him. Charley is literally the best dog ever in the entire world. He came to work with me because we had a vet appointment afterwards. As some of you may know, Charley has degenerative joint disease, which has led to severe arthritis. We (as in...my vet and I) have struggled to manage his pain and help him live as normal a life as we can, but his pain is getting worse. I've known for about a year or so now that Charley won't have a normal life expectancy. Eventually, his pain will become too much and I will have to let him go. When that happens will depend on how his new pain meds will work. But yesterday I was very scared that I was going to hear that my options were up and it was time. (I was a mess all day. There were tears.) Thankfully, we have 2 new meds to try to see if we can get him comfortable.

I tell you this so that if you see him sometime soon, you can give him lots of lovies and tell him how much you like him and what a great dog he is. Because he is. And I am making sure he knows that every single day. This dog is, quite literally, my best friend. You may think that sounds a little lame, but it's not. That's what he's supposed to be, right? He's always there to love me and comfort me and make me smile. And I hope I do the same for him as our time together winds down.

He's a good dog. Such a good dog.

No comments: