Sunday, May 1, 2011

Wave Hill - My New Camera

So, I got this awesome new Canon Rebel for Christmas this year. And I was so excited to start using it! Then I realized...I have no idea how a "real" camera actually works.

I was determined not to use it on just the automatic settings because I thought, "well then what's the point of having said fancy-schmancy camera?"

So...for 4 months, it just sat in its case.

So finally, a friend from my job at Williams Sonoma, who is a photographer, offered to give me a little lesson. So last Sunday we went up to this ....park? Botanical Garden? I don't even know what it was. But it was called "Wave Hill".

Take the 1 train all the way to the end in the Bronx (242nd street). Walk 10 more blocks north and all the way west. And there you have, Wave Hill.

Middle of nowhere, as far as NYC is concerned. I'm fairly certain I was in Riverdale...but this cannot be confirmed.

Regardless of where it is, it is BEAUTIFUL. We just walked around and I got some lessons on shutter speed and blah blah, whatever, I don't remember, did I mention it was REALLY beautiful?? And that the weather was basically perfect that day? Yeah. Awesome.

Ok, but here's a sample of some pictures from the day:


Can't take credit for this one. Friend was showing me a different type of lens. Can take credit for the shoes. Those are my feetsies!

I got excited about the pattern on this pot. And the purpley flowers inside it.

This house reminded me of New England.

Gotta love Ivy.

My interpretation of a shoe shot.

The other side of that house...but, really, look at how that guy is sitting in front of it. Hilarious.

Can I have this in my backyard one day? Ok, thanks.

So, all in all, I learned some stuff and hopefully this means that now I will actually USE my camera. But, I'm a slow learner so if anyone wants to give me more tips/lessons, I'm TOTES up for it. :)

Lovies!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

i'm so excited to buy myself toms after i make the big bucks this month. i don't know why, but i've been saving the purchase for some kind of reward or something. they're not even that expensive...but i do love them :D